Main Forum

Graphics Cards

7 replies
Votes:
+4
Untagged users
So, Ive been shopping around for a new system and looking at various graphics cards. I was curious if someone could help me understand something. What exactly are people either trying to play or power with cards more powerful than a 1080?
Posted Aug 25, 18 · OP
List
Undo
EcG Member
Votes:
+2
EcG Member
Could be trying to test out high powered configurations (4k + 144hz?), or just like to chase the latest new thing.

I have a 1070 from 18 months ago and it still obliterates any new game I throw at it - won't have to upgrade for a long time I think.

I would wait until after Sept. when the new nvidia cards launch, sure to be a price drop on the 10 series then.
Posted Aug 25, 18 · Last edited Aug 25, 18
EcG Admin
Votes:
+11
EcG Admin
EcG Member
Yeah, the 20X0 series will drop the price of the 10X0 series. And hopefully more power, less heat, etc.
If you're not remembered, you never existed.
“Congratulations. You are being rescued. Please do not resist.”
Posted Aug 26, 18
EcG Admin
Votes:
+11
EcG Admin
EcG Member
I use a 27inch 1440p 165hz GSYNC monitor. The sweet spot for GSYNC is managing your fps between 100-160fps on my monitor. My GTX 1080 does a good job maxing graphic settings out in most games and allow me average at or over 100+ fps in all my games at 1440p. I want to maximize my fps at the 1440p resolution closer to the top hz rate of my monitor. For that reason, I am looking at selling my GTX1080 and picking up a 1080Ti, 2070, or 2080. Any of those cards will provide me that extra horse power bump that I am looking for. I like perfect eye candy and smoothness too.

A GTX1080 by all means is a great video card for gamers looking to maximize their 1080p resolution frame rate in combination with a high hz monitor. It also pairs very well with a high hz 1440p monitor. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In my opinion, the GTX 1080 is probably the best all around video card today and it pairs extremely well with 144hz GSYNC monitors too. The RTX series for most users is way way way over kill. Nvidia is just trying bank extra money off ray tracing technology that isn't fully integrated into most game titles anyways. It's going to take a few years for it to be refined and fully integrated as a graphics option in games. For that reason, it's almost worth waiting for the next gen Nvidia cards unless you are looking for the raw horse power that the Turing architecture offers...…..mainly geared towards 4k users or high hz 1440p users like myself.
Posted Aug 26, 18 · Last edited Aug 26, 18
List
Undo
EcG Admin
Votes:
+11
EcG Admin
EcG Member
I personally pre-ordered a 2080, but I was buying myself a 1070 TI (since my laptop died, was building a desktop to replace it) and decided to return that and get the 2080. Didn't make sense to me to buy a new 1070TI compared to it. The price point compared to the tech was worth it. Even if I only have two 1080p monitors, this card will last me awhile. That, and I plan on talking my wife into letting me get either an Oculus or a Rift lol
If you're not remembered, you never existed.
“Congratulations. You are being rescued. Please do not resist.”
Posted Sep 30, 18
EcG Member
Votes:
+2
EcG Member
I am a little apprehensive about going to the 20X0 RTX cards just yet. Seems extremely overpriced, especially the founders cards from NVIDIA. Im still running a GTX 980 Overclocked with my i7 - 7820X 8 cores and 16 threads also Overclocked. I would like to get a newer card. The prices are off putting for me. in 720p or in some 1080p I can still game and record/stream while running 2 and 3 monitors so im good for now I think. if I could find a good deal on a 20X0 card by EVGA or MSI then maybe id upgrade. The VRAM is the main reason id upgrade. Why did you guys decide to pull the trigger on the new RTX cards?
Posted Oct 5, 18
Votes:
+4
Untagged users
Any idea what kind of cost we might be talking about for a 1080 Ti when Black Friday comes around? Im worried about buying pre-used, no way to prove or not prove someone on Ebay was mining with it :/
Posted Oct 9, 18 · OP
EcG Admin
Votes:
+11
EcG Admin
EcG Member
wrote:
Any idea what kind of cost we might be talking about for a 1080 Ti when Black Friday comes around? Im worried about buying pre-used, no way to prove or not prove someone on Ebay was mining with it :/

Vanilla, you should know that I am selling a brand new MSI GTX 1080 Ti right now for a good price. Let me know if you are interested. If I have no movement from anyone in the community I am just going to throw it on Ebay.
Posted Oct 11, 18
List
Undo
Top Posters
There are no birthdays today.
NoticeNotices